By Allen Susser
- 4 small Carrots with tops, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 small Turnips with tops, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 small Parsnips, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 Tbls olive oil
- 1 Tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 Tsp fennel seeds
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1-1/2 cups red quinoa cooked
- 1 Tbls chocolate nibs
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, and diced
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, torn
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl toss the carrots, turnips, parsnips with 2 tablespoons of olive oil seasoning with salt, pepper, fennel seeds and fresh rosemary. Place the vegetables, cut side down in a heavy cast iron pan. Cook over medium high heat until the edges are browned. Turn the vegetables and place the entire pan into the oven. Roast for 10 minutes until cooked through and well caramelized.
Using a small sauté pan warm the remaining olive oil. Add the shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes until aromatic. Add chocolate nibs, peppers and cooked quinoa sautéing together for 1 minute until heated through.
Spoon the finished quinoa into the center of a round plate. Arrange the roasted root vegetables decoratively and garnish with mint.